Get the job done quickly – but get it done right or it will cost you!15th February 2016
Recently it was reported that councils could face fines of up to £5000 for roadworks overrunning into weekends, so could we see lane rental schemes used further to encourage more efficient works?
Schemes should encourage those to carry out roadworks in a less disruptive manner and could provide a financial incentive that will:
- reduce the length of time that sites are unoccupied, hence reducing total works durations;
- improve planning, coordination and working methods to maximise efficiency;
- see more works carried outside of peak periods, reopening the highway to traffic at the busiest and/or making greater use of evening or weekend working;
- optimise the number of operatives on site to enable works to be completed as quickly as possible;
- complete works to the required standard first time, and with permanent reinstatement, reducing the need to return to the site to carry out remedial works.
By specifying and using the correct HAPAS approved reinstatement products you can ensure a permanent repair and also reduce your time on the road.
UltraCrete products from Instarmac offer a range of high performance, rapid setting bedding mortars for the reinstatement and installation of all types of ironwork, access covers and frames. UltraCrete Envirobed HA104® and Envirobed Flowable HA104® provide superior compressive & tensile strength and can be open to traffic in 1 hour!
UltraCrete Instant Road Repair 6mm and 10mm does exactly what it claims by providing a first time permanent repair which is instantly trafficable and can be applied in all weathers.
So do lane rental schemes work?
A study into London’s Lane Rental scheme shows that since its introduction in 2012 the amount of serious and severe disruption caused by planned roadworks has been cut by 46 per cent on the capital’s busiest roads, reducing delays for all road users.
All the main utility companies are also now signed up to the use of rapid drying materials like those offered by UltraCrete considerably reducing the amount of time required to reopen roads and helping to save approximately 2,700 days of disruption across London.
For further information on either the Envirobed products or our renowned Instant Road Repair please visit our website www.ultracrete.co.uk call us now on +44(0)1827 254402 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Transport Lane Rental Schemes: Guidance to English Local Highway Authorities